GETTING A POLICE CERTIFICATE IN AUSTRALIA
What is a police certificate?
This is an official document that shows criminal records of an individual. This document is usually issued after a background check by the police or any other governmental unit fit to carry out the job. This certificate is known under different names in different countries. If you are a citizen of Australia, you would definitely refer to it as a police check.
The certificate can be gotten through a number of ways but the police check online is the fastest way to get it.The online certificate usually takes about 24 to 48 hours for delivery after the completion of the application process. The online process is also preferred due to its mobile friendliness. It could be done on a mobile device anywhere and eliminates the stress of applying at a police station.
Online application process
- Fill an online form
The online form usually takes less than 5 minutes to complete. The form is applicable to both individuals and organizations. The following details are provided on the form:
- The full legal name of the applicant inclusive of first name, last name and middle name if available.
- Contact details of the client inclusive of email address and mobile number.
- Check type of the applicant.
- Role or position for the check. This should be specific. For instance, a medical student is used rather than juststudentanda chemistry teacher is used rather than just teacher.
- Name of organization requesting the check.
- Location of the organization.
- Specify if the applicant will be in contact with vulnerable groups such as old people and children.
- The applicant then provides additional verification. Payment for the check is made and verification is done by uploading the necessary documents needed.
- The applicant then waits for about 24 hours and more in some cases, for the results via email.
Requirements for the online agency
- The agency must be ACIC (Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission) accredited as a NPCS (National Police Checking Service) provider.
- The agency must provide a private and safe platform. The platform could be encrypted to prevent hacking or private information.
- The agency should cover all police jurisdictions in the entire Australian states.
The check is usually gotten within 24 to 48 hours after completing the application process. However, it is quite possible for the check to extend those periods. This is due to the application being flagged for manual review by Australian police agencies.A manual review could take place as a result of previous offenses or convictions inclusive of traffic offences; common data such as same name; or change in address.
When this happens, the arrival time of the check can’t be predicted as it could take up to fifteen business days or more to complete the manual review. The review can’t in any way be rushed, influenced or interfered with, until it is complete. This is because the review is strictly in the hands of the Australian police agency issuing the check.